Botanical Name : Garcinia cambogia
Other Names : Garcinia, Malabar Tamarind, Brindall Berry, Kankushta
The fruit of Garcinia cambogia has been traditionally used in food preparation and cooking.In Ayurveda ,it is said that sour flavors such as those from Garcinia activate digestion.Garcinia is considered tomake foods more filling and satisfying and has been used routinely for many centuries with notoxicity.Garcinia and its active ingredient, HCA (hydroxycitric acid)have been extensively studied for overthirty years And found to be effective in inhibiting lipogenesis,suppressing appetite ,and encouraging weight-loss in ratory animals.
Garcinia cambogia, an exotic fruit grown in South India, has been used to impart a distinctive sour flavour to Indian cooking. It is commonly found in the evergreen and shola forests of Western Ghats in India up to 6,000 ft. high.
Chemical composition / key active constituents
The tree is valued for its dried rind which is rich in acids and possesses marked antiseptic properties.It contains tartaric acid reducing sugars and phosphoric acid (as calcium triphosphate). It Lmits the synthesis of fatty acids in the muscles and liver lipogenesis (production of fat) by inhibiting the enzyme ATP-citrate lyase.The fruits contain 30% acid (calculated as Citric acid) essen- tially (-)-hydroxy-citric acid. Camboginol & camboginare also identified. The resin possesses purgative properties.
There are various products available for obesity and fat control they are generally stimulants which have side effect on central nervous system. HCA on the other hand, works via peripheral mechanism to promote weight loss and assist the body’s natural cycle in the liver and elsewhere, there by influencing the metabolism of calories. HCA works by:-
ATP citrate lyase converts, excess calories from food into Fat for storage. HCA binds to enzyme ATP-citrate lyase making it ineffective. If ATP citrate lyase is not present the fat production in body is stopped. No more extra fat storage in body & when body need energy the stored fat gets burned. The calories which are diverted from fat storage got to end some where so glycogen are product and this gets stored in skeletal muscles and the liver.
Appetite Suppressant: A reduction in appetite is never the most import part of fat loss, but certainly can make things easier. In numerous studies, HCA has been shown to reduce the appetite of animal consuming it. HCA’S control of appetite seems to be the result of all the stored glycogen, which is produced. That is when glycogen rises, glucoreceptors in the liver are stimulated. As regulator, these glucoreceptors send signal to brain via the ragus nerve.Against a very natural way to alter physiology and promote weight loss.
- It decreases the rate of dietary carbohydrate conversion to fat and cholesterol while increasing glycogen production.
- It suppresses appetite thus reducing food consumption
- It also potentially increases caloric burning there by elevating the body’s production of heat. It is nature’s answer to weight loss.
References: CAS, IP, Ayurveda book etc.
- Chem Abstr, 1992 [116- 19982, 127273]; 1993 [119-103470]; 1989[110-73906]; Vohora, Indian Drugs, [1989-26(10), 526]; Janjua, Hamdard, 1991 [34(2)-104]; Yaqeenudin et. al., Pakist J Sci Ind Res, 1990 [33-268].
- Roy, A.K. et. al., Int. J.of Pharmacog., 1991, v. 29(2), 117-126.
- Mand, J.K. et. al., J. Res. Edu. in Ind.Med., 1991, v., 10(2), 1-7.
- Ghosh, A. et. al., Int. J. of Pharmacog., 1993, v. 31(2), 116-120.
- Mathur, R. et. al., J. of Ethnopharmacol., 1996, v., 50(2), 61-68.
- Singh, B.N. and Sharma, P.V., J.Res. Ind. Med., 1971, 5, 223.
- Ramaswamy, Minor Forest Products, Mysore, 1945,55; Damodaran & Nair,Biochem.J. 1936,30,1014;Giri,Indian J. med. Res., 1939, 27, 429; Mitra & Ghosh,Ann. biochem.1941, 1, 307; Srinivasan, loc. cit.
- Chawla et. al., 1982, Indian J. Med. Res. 76 (Suppl.), 95-98.
Statements on this website is collected from online and offline references, they are an effective way of learning and sharing. With this knowledge, we can take control of our own health. These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA. Products and techniques mentioned here are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. However, when you give the body what it needs then the body can heal itself as God intended it to. We are bulk suppliers/Exporters of herbs, and raw materials this website is intend to provide option for various herbs buyers/importers/our customers, buy small Qty swiftly and pay for the product and shipping.